t Double Yellow's Musings: Living Life as a Worst Case Scenario
The warped mind of Double Yellow craves for humor everyday. His daily dose comes from The Straits Times, The Sunday Times, Today, Channelnewsasia, etc. He also thinks that because of this preamble, this blog will never get featured in the local media. And of course, please read the Disclaimer before embarking on the journey.

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Living Life as a Worst Case Scenario

Dear Editor,

This morning when I was at home, the newspaper vendor gave me the local paper. As I was flipping though the pages, I got a rude shock – there was this incredible letter. Shouldn’t the newspaper staff have noticed the letter and stopped it from being published? What if the letter writer was not in the right state of mind when he/she had written the piece to the newspaper?

The letter in question was this....

Yesterday morning, when I was in an MRT train a man with a haversack and a red hand carrier walked in.

As he put his carrier on the floor, I got a rude shock – he was holding a 50cm-long saw. Shouldn't the MRT staff have noticed the saw and asked him to at least wrap it up in newspapers and put it in a carrier?

What if he was not in a right state of mind and had started attacking people on the train at the peak hour?

Maybe we should ban knives so that no mentally deranged person steals them from shops and goes around killing everyone. No wait, we should ban alcohol so that any person not in the right state of mind would drink too much and swim in his own puke. While we are at it, let’s ban cars so that people of unsound mind do not drive and run over people standing at a bus stop. To top it all off let’s ban bloggers so that a mentally unstable person would not go around writing racist articles.

The series of ‘what if’ questions can range from bad to morbid. But for how long will we want to the authorities to check on every single minute thing? The letter writer does not enlighten us of what he/she did when he/she saw the man with the saw (pun unintended). And how exactly does putting the saw in a carrier or newspaper prevent a person of unsound mind? Did he/she get off at the next train stop or travel the whole journey in fear?

Speaking of fear, there does seem to be lots of fear in Singapore. Fear of dengue, fear of bloggers. For how long are we planning to live life as a worst case scenario? But despite all this fear, we have NOT become the Fear Hub of the region. The Asian version of the Fear Factor series is being launched in Malaysia.

Be very afraid, this blog entry is going to eat you in 5 … 4 … 3 … 2 … 1

4 Comments:

Blogger Beng said...

Wow, Singapore has just transformed form a fine to a dangerous country to live in, with the need to look over your shoulders wherever you go!

7:45 PM  
Blogger doubleyellow said...

hey beng, i think the guy with the saw was prob carrying it for self-protection :)

8:25 PM  
Blogger trisha said...

Speaking of worst case scenarios, I think I am that kind of person. When I couldn't contact my friend in Bali over the weekend, I imagined the worst that could possibly happen to him (that I had to fly to Bali and identify his body for instance). Now is this similar to what you wrote about?? I don't know. You tell me.

7:54 AM  
Blogger doubleyellow said...

hey trisha, if I were in your shoes, I would have been worried too. And I would also have imagined the worst case scenario. In this case, there was a terrorist attack in Bali and your friend was there.

And I do hope you managed to get in touch with your friend and he is ok now.

What I wrote about though, is about imagining worst case scenarios for every small thing even if there is no incident. For instance, if I am going to worry that my friend who drives a car might may end up in an accident and imagine the worst case scenario, then I think its unhealthy. And if I think I should ask my friend to stop driving so that I can stop worrying, its even more unhealthy.

Imagining worst-case scenarios is human nature but doing it for every small thing is paranoia.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home